Thursday, November 28, 2013

USASJ Story Project 28-Nov-13 CHRISTIAN BERGGRAV



Christian Berggrav- always the stylist-  in Montreal Tribune coverage of the 1997 event in Salisbury, CT.

CHRISTIAN BERGGRAV
Dartmouth '78
Dartmouth Outing Club
Oslo, NOR

This is an old timer from Norway speaking. With lots of good old memories from my college years at Dartmouth (74'-78'), and later while at Grad School at UNH. I was back last fall visiting Dartmouth and the East. Travelling around in New England visiting some of the old hills in Berlin and Brattleboro, it was emotional, I must admit, to think back. I also happened to run into Jeff Hastings, and he kindly put me on the mailing list.

I want to share with you a special happening at the old hill in Salisbury, Conn back in 1977.

After the 2nd round we had the traditional "jump off". As the winner of the competition I was the last man to jump. Therefore, I was standing alone down on the lower start. I was jumping up and down to keep warm while holding around my skis. Suddenly, a loud crack was heard, and the tall Norwegian disappeared!. The old floor on the lower start was quite rotten, I fell through it like a rock in the air together with my skis. Not knowing what was underneath, I have never been as scared as at that particular moment. We always went up to the top along the side of the inrun and I didn't know there were stairways in the back. But very fortunately there was something underneath.. I fell down some 15-20 feet landing on the lower 'porch'.  Amazingly enough, neither myself nor my skis were hurt. I heard from above: "Jesus, where did he go?" After a couple of minutes of "finding myself" again, I could walk up to the top take my jump. Somewhat shaken and reserved, needless to say, but I came down OK just a meter short of a promising junior. Yes, Jeff  Hastings!  I remember later, that it was the first true indication of Jeff's potential to be seen a few years later.

To round off the story, enclosed you will see a true copy from the Montreal Star the following day. A nice one to have in a scrap book! Read  it carefully.., the people in Salisbury should be proud of having the world record (664m) well into the foreseeable future!

All the best to all you good old ski jumping friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment