Thursday, December 1, 2016

USANS Story Project 1-DEC-2016 CARL SODERBERG


Carl in the early days in Caribou ME... no suit, no gloves, no helmet, no problem.

CARL SODERBERG
Caribou, ME
carl@soderbergconstruction.com
 
We have a strong history of Nordic skiing here in northern Maine driven a lot by the Scandinavians that settled here (New Sweden, Stockholm, Westmanland etc.).  My grandfather came over from Sweden as a little boy and my mother was from Stockholm but worked at a resort in the mountains of northern Sweden.  I jumped in high school here in Caribou in the 1970’s at that time there were jumps in all of the surrounding towns (Fort Kent, Fort Fairfield, Mars Hill, Caribou) and we would travel and compete at other jumps as far away as Gould Academy.   Our jump in Caribou was a tower jump as was Fort Kent’s.  Fort Fairfield and Mars hill were built into the hill. They are all gone now.  I am attaching a couple photos, The one from the 30’s (that jump was gone before I can remember) shows how big a crowd they attracted here in Caribou at the events.  The other one is a picture of me in my hand knit hat and jeans... not impressive looking but I was so lucky to have been able to experience the sport (I was hooked from the first jump/crash).   Larry Stone and Don West (they were so good to me!!) helped me get set up and jump on the 50 (?) at Lake Placid and the big jump at Gunstock back around year 2000.   I visited Holmenkollen in 1973 while visiting family with my mother and was fortunate enough to go back in 2011 for the World Championships.  


Photo of the jump in Caribou ME from the 1930's... big crowds... big trestle!

No comments:

Post a Comment