Wednesday, December 2, 2015

USANS Story Project 2-DEC-2015 SUNDGAARD

A young Kip Sundgaard launching off the Old Battle Creek ski jump in 1966 or '67.
Age 59
St Paul Ski Club

Like many of you, I've been following the "Story Project", and particularly enjoyed the writing of Mike Glasder (ED NOTE- see Mike's story published Dec 28, 2014- click here).  First, I received a message from my brother Jan wondering if that wasn't the old Battle Creek tower that was in Ely?  Short story was the steel was scrapped, and the funds put towards buying new steel. The old steel from Ely was then used in Chicago. This reminded me of the opportunity to ski with the Sky Lords on the old Norge jump when it was new in "82".  (The only time I rode in Chicago).  
 
One should look back and count their blessings during this holiday season.  Mike caught that "spirit".
Last night I went jogging around 6:00 p.m., in the dark. It was two degrees above Fahrenheit when I left the house.  As I crunched along in the clear moonlight, I thought about how many nights like this, or colder, or windier, we've all been out skiing.  Running always brings back memories for me.  Probably delirium brought on by a lack of oxygen.  I grew up speed skating and ski jumping with my dad, brother, and sister Kirsten: my mom a registered nurse, picked up the pieces.  My dad, a paratrooper in WWII, always had us kids engaged in some "questionable" activity.  
 
Everywhere you went there were parents, and friends: sweeping or shaving ice, sharpening skates, coaching.  Shoveling or raking snow, fixing bindings, coaching. If you fell, there was someone to pick you up, and brush you off.  Then they'd  check to make sure you, and your equipment were ready to get back in the saddle.  It didn't matter who you were, or where you were from.  Their name may have been Glen Clayton, Milt Krueser, or Jim Leggett. Even Mrs. Morris, (mother of baseball pitcher Jack Morris) rubbed my frostbit toes back to life in Ely one frigid morning. Both Jack, and his brother Tom jumped for the Saint Paul Ski Club.
 
 A bit better than the average ski jumper, I was lucky enough to be able to ski ride from one end of the country to the other. I enjoyed just about all of the then operating ski jumps in the US and Canada.  Therefore, I was fortunate to meet a large number of this great ski jumping family.  As I complete my first year of retirement from my job, (which is great by the way) and, look to the new year, it is with humble gratitude that I remember these faces.  Many of whom have passed away, like my own parents, Joanne and Gordy, have.  Thank you to all!  You have helped to put a twinkle in a lot of young ski jumpers' eyes, including mine.   Happy holidays, Kip G. Sundgaard
 
p.s. Good Luck Mike (make er good)

EDITOR'S NOTE-
Kip was far more than "... a bit better than the average ski jumper."  In addition to many other ski jumping accomplishments he was a member of 1976 Olympic team and the 1976 NCAA champion (skiing for the University of Utah).  His telemark landings were legend and a beautiful thing to behold.
A 19 year old (turning 20) Kip's '76 Olympic accreditation.

Cover of the University of Utah 1976-77 Ski Team program showing Kip soaring to victory in the 1976 NCAA Championships.
The old Battle Creek ski jump in St. Paul, MN.


No comments:

Post a Comment