Thursday, December 6, 2018

USANS STORY PROJECT 12-DEC 2017- DAVE AUSTIN


THROUGH THE TREES.  Dave Austin back in the day at the high-flying Bear Mt (NY) jump where the air, crowds and trophies were YUGE!

DAVE AUSTIN
dmaustin2004@msn.com

Skiing the Eastern circuit was a blast for the "older" guys in the 70's and 80's. Each weekend found us at a different hill, all of which we knew well as we had skied them for many years. The camaraderie among the jumpers was incredible, we were like one big happy family!

I remember (vaguely) one year in Salisbury Ct. on a Sunday; good practice session in the morning then we broke for lunch.  Tournament started at one o'clock and we were heading up the hill for the first round. The Masters, or as I still prefer to call them "Veterans" were the first to jump. Half way up the tower I realized I had the lowest number, I would be first off the hill!

The Vets used the top start back then and when the flag dropped I kicked off the top raring to go. Well, when you kicked off the top you are actually airborne for a few feet, and when my skis landed in the track I felt just like someone had smeared peanut butter in the track! How I didn't end up on my head is beyond me, but the whole way down the in-run was an effort to keep my feet beneath me and stay on my skis. In those days Good old Dr. Don West  (rest his soul) always had timing equipment set up on the takeoff.  I remember thinking to myself, hell, I can just throw ‘em around and not go off the jump! I believe I was clocked at 20 something mph. Well I didn't and I flailed off the end and actually went far enough to slide down the whole landing hill and end up in a ball, soaking wet in the dip! Needless to say the hill needed some attention. The funny part is while I was picking myself up and wringing out we all heard a voice from the judges stand (I will not mention his name) say, "send down another vet!"  I can't remember for sure but I don't think the reply from the top of the hill was something we could print!!  A little "snow cement' was put on the hill and the tournament went off quite well!


Dave at Copper Peak (Ironwood, MI) this summer.


Dave with jumping buddy Dana Zelenakas this past summer at a New England Ski Jumping and Nordic Combined golf event.

No comments:

Post a Comment