Thursday, December 6, 2018

USANS STORY PROJECT 4-DEC 2018- SHAWN COSTELLO



An old postcard recalls the Big Nansen ski jump.  Shawn Costello recounts the last competition on the hill - which he oversaw- in 1985.  

SHAWN COSTELLO
Berlin, NH
Scostello@berlincity.com

BIG NANSEN 1985- THE DAY SKI JUMPING DIED

I felt very lucky growing up in a "skiing" family, from my earliest memories, winter meant skiing. As soon as I was old enough I became a member of the Junior Nansen Ski Club just like my older brother and entered the world of ski competition. The JNSC encouraged all the major forms of skiing Alpine, Cross Country and Jumping. Most of the young skiers entered all three events. A broad education for sure. As the competitors grew up, many found that they enjoyed or fared better in one of the forms of competition better than the others, basically Alpine vs Nordic. Some would continue in all the events right into high school, because that's what they always did, I was one of those guys. I was not a star but I enjoyed being part of the team. When I graduated from high school I hung up my jumping skis and began a period of recreational skiing. I never left the Nansen Ski Club or the Nansen Ski Jump. I became ever more involved in the mechanics of ski jumping.

I got to work with some amazing characters at the ski jump, as I am sure this was true in all the clubs that put on large competitions. Like many club members I got to do just about every job that "needed" to be done, another broad education. During this time I actually stopped skiing for a while but every year I was back on the hill getting the jump ready to do its thing. As the years passed I noticed that the number of club members also known as "workers" was getting smaller each year. This was at a time when getting the jump ready was becoming more mechanized. Where at one time close to 100 people with wicker baskets would snow the chute, the baskets gave way to 55 gallon drums of snow winched up to the top and the snow was placed where needed. Snow making was tried but the early technology was not up to the needs of a ski jump. In the end a sled that held 6 yards of snow was filled hoisted onto the jump and then winched to the spot where it was needed and repeat, the chute could be snowed in one day. The machines made up for the lack of manpower and the event lived on.

The local chamber of commerce saw the draw of the ski jump and formed an area wide competition known as "Winterfest'" It had jumping, alpine, cross country, biathlon, snowmobile and ice sculpture competitions, it was initially well received and had a carnival atmosphere. During this time the small dedicated crew had the jump ready for competition on the day it was needed, besides the Ski Club, the State of NH, the City of Berlin and several businesses supplied equipment and man power.

Then came 1985, I agreed again to help get the jump ready, many of the businesses and other critical helpers would do their part on jump day. I went up to the jump to see what was needed and found that a large section of the deck had not weathered the off season very well. The deck needed to be repaired before snow came either from the sky or the sled. I looked around and it happened that day, I   was alone- no more "characters" were left I was a crew of one, and running out of time. I went down to the Chamber of Commerce office and said I have to hire a crew to fix the deck and snow it, thankfully the director agreed. I called the New Hampshire Employment Security office and asked if they could find 10 people with some carpentry skills and they said yes. I said send them up to the jump tomorrow morning. They showed up and while happy to get some work, they liked that they were working on the "jump."  In time the deck was repaired and I kept some of the crew to snow the chute, they got it done. It seemed to me that I was seeing "The Day Ski Jumping Died."  The members had died, aged, moved away, lost interest or started to spend the winter in sunny climes. I made it through, there were only 10 jumpers and to their credit they each made 5 jumps to give the crowd a show. It had an effect on me and after the event was done and all the borrowed or rented equipment was returned I drove down the access road locked the gate and drove away not return to the site for 5 years and then another 15 years after that.

Well, I got a call one day "Hey the state wants to do something with the jump, can you come to a meeting?"......Next thing I know the ski jump means something again, the old girl will feel skis on her deck at least one more time. All of those terrible feelings of "The Day Ski Jumping Died" have faded away and there I was the smiling guy congratulating Sara Hendrickson on her history making jump. Now instead of avoiding "Big Nansen" I cannot wait for the next competition!

NOTE- Check out the Red Bull video of Sarah's leap off Big Nansen... with a cameo by Shawn Costello!  Click on image below or link is- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIH01DgMOnI


YouTube video recounts Sarah Hendrickson's jump off of Old Nansen in 2017... the first jump on the hill since 1985.


Historic marker at the base of the jump give some history.

No comments:

Post a Comment