Sunday, November 18, 2012

USASJ Story Project- Nov 18 D MAKI

STORY No. 27
DOUG MAKI
Age 57
Coleraine,  MN
Itasca Ski and Outing Club


Doug Maki- smoke 'em if you got 'em.
But jumping (eventually) beat smoking!

It was the late seventies and I was about 23 years old.  I had gone to steamboat to ski the K120.  This was the first time I was jumping this hill.

I was on top of the inrun getting ready to take my very first ride.  My nerves were on high alert.  The weather was a little warm that day.

I left the starting gate with a rush.  As I was coming through the curve my skis stuck somewhat and I over compensated.  There I was, coming off the take-off dragging my hands.  I landed on the knoll, bounced about 30 meters and to my surprise I landed on my feet and skied the rest of the way down the landing hill.

As I came to a stop at the end of the outrun I was surprised to still be standing.  My heart was beating 90 miles an hour and my knees were rattling.   Then, I walked to my car and smoked about a half a pack of cigarettes, one after another.  I could not believe that I had made it all the way down without a fall.

It took me about an hour for my nerves to calm down and build the confidence I needed for another ride, but up I went.  I had no difficulties on my second run and skied the rest of the weekend without incidence.

I no longer smoke and have not done so for about 15 years now.   I am now 57 years old and still jump Wilson Hill, a 40 meter jump in Coleraine named after Gene Wilson and the 46 meter Harrington Hill in St. Paul which is named after Tom Harrington.

No comments:

Post a Comment