Thursday, November 29, 2012

USASJ Story Project- Nov 29 FRENCH

The aptly named Suicide Hill in Ishpeming, MI looks harmless enough in this old photo.

STORY No. 38
ELDRIDGE "FRENCHIE" FRENCH
Age 65
Chanhassen, MN
Minneapolis Ski Club

It was 1963 at the National Championships in Ishpeming, Michigan. I remember it to be a great ski jumping day, zero and clear. Coy Hill and Ralph had just finished sugaring the track and it was fast as hell. I was only sixteen and had never skied at Suicide Hill before.  Ed Brisson told me that the inrun would be fast so stay on my toes. He later told me I jumped about twelve feet early and , yes, I did tip over.  Not a problem for a young kid in great shape so naturally I ran back to the top for another one. I think I followed Jack Everson and Nipper and Dummer Jacobson. This time I was only six feet early and tipped over again landing on my head. I was shaking off the snow and Nipper came up to me laughing his head off wondering what the hell had happened. I told him I was hurt and he looked at me like I was crazy and broke out in laughter again. This time I pulled open the top of my sweater and he saw my collar bone all bloody sticking out of my shirt and he about puked right there.  I did not go back to Ishpeming until 1965. This time I tipped over on my second jump during the tournament and put my ski through my kidney. Corky Denisson had sustained a concussion so the good local Dr. Narotski flew us back to Minneapolis for further treatment. I spent a month in bed, not a lot of fond memories. At age 18 my ski jumping career had too many injuries to come back. I did continue to jump at Leavenworth, Westby and Iron Mountain but my days of Ishpeming were a thing of the past. I coached for several years with Ed Brisson, Lenny Johnson and Nipper Jacobson and today play an occasional game of golf with Nipper, Greg Windsperger, Jerry and Jay Martin. I did have a round with Corky Denisson a few years ago. Fond memories for sure, a lot of aches and pains today but I would never forget the wonderful experiences of ski jumping.
Frenchie, center, survived Suicide Hill and still plays golf with
 jumping buddies Greg Windsperger (L) and Jerry Martin (R).

No comments:

Post a Comment