Tuesday, November 27, 2012

USASJ Story Project- Nov 27 MAKI-FOUST

Alana and husband, Brandon- bringing the next generation!

STORY No. 36
ALANA MAKI-FOUST
Age 29
Cameron, WI
Itasca Ski Club, Coleraine, MN

I was born without a competitive bone in my body. Well, maybe just one or two competitive bones. I was also born with the last name Maki, which means I was introduced and grew up in the world of ski jumping.  I had on skis at by the age of three and broke my leg on the 10 meter at four. That is the beginning of my life in ski jumping and I loved it.
Alana finishing it off nicely... in many ways.

As I grew up, I had my share of good crashes. Three nasty ones coming one winter when I had grown a lot and was just not used to my gangly body. My dad says now that he was surprised that I kept with the sport. Lots of kids quit after a bad fall. Not me, I love ski jumping.  When I started training wih the central team at about 14, I was almost always the first one at the hill (you get more rides and don't have to wait as long!).  My one or two competitive bones may have shown a little at this time in my life as I was getting better.  I was always happy when my dad let me know after a tournament that I jumped "respectably."

At the age of 29, I will have my first winter off from ski jumping as I am expecting my first child. Next year I will be thirty and officially in the Masters class. I will make it! Even though I am pretty much terrified every first ride of the year...and I hope my jumpsuit will still fit me.

I must not leave out that, of course, I will introduce my future daughter to ski jumping. We already have a plan for building a small ski jump in the yard. And I am so happy to know that she, unlike many before her, will have the chance to reach for that Olympic goal as a woman ski jumper (if she has more competitive bones than her mother).

No comments:

Post a Comment