Saturday, December 15, 2012

USASJ Story Project- Dec 15 ARNOLD

Editor's note- When we left Landis Arnold in Story No. 53 it was summer of '83 at a training camp in Kandersteg, SUI and he was in bed with a badly sprained ankle.
Landis at Holmenkollen in '83
STORY No. 54
LANDIS ARNOLD
Age 52
Niwot Colorado
Winter Park Jump School; Dartmouth 1979-83; USST 1982-85 

I was in trouble.  We went from Kandersteg, SUI to Hinterzarten, GER and my ankle was toast.   I planned to sit out a day or two but was worried I wouldn't be able ski at all.  Winnie, I understood later, (and sensed at the time) was looking for ways to speed my departure home to save money on room and board.

That first morning in Hinterzarten I went out to the hill  just to watch all the skiers.  I remember Primoz Ulaga skiing really well then, probably Pavel  Ploc and some smattering of Austrians.  The perspective from the sideline struck me- it was completely different than watching from the top or bottom.  For the first time I saw in the good jumpers that the “act" of flying  was something connected to, and just as important as, the takeoff.   My focus had always been on the take-off; I had never looked at flying as something I could “work” and, suddenly, I really wanted to try. 

In the afternoon when the rest of the team went back for a second session I hobbled around town doing errands but was unable to get this “active flying thing” out of my head.  On a whim I went back the hotel, grabbed my gear and  headed to the hill.   The coaches were surprised to see me to say the least.    But it was amazing.  I didn't even notice my ankle and from that first jump, I was a different skier. I started to loft my flights (which was cool for a big guy like me).

In the past I had had some “other worldly” jumps but they always seemed to come out of being a bit crazy, somehow being “in it” but not knowing really what was going on.   Those had been wonderful experiences but damned if I knew how to create them day in, day out.  This new focus didn't bring the 19's back, but “going high after the takeoff” gave me an important focal point.  That weekend in Hinterzarten, I was 11th which was a step up for me and also my glass ceiling -  that season I was also 11th in Lake Placid  and Innsbruck.

Greg, Rex. and Erling all worked hard over the next seasons to help me develop what I learned that day in Hinterzarten.  I am so thankful they knew this to be more important than booking that early ticket home for me.  The irony was that this break-through was driven by the stupid fish and tennis net escapade that had injured me in the first place.  We had a great team and our camaraderie often trumped our common sense, but also made us all better.   

I stand by my belief that there is much more good in athletics than simply reflected by medals.  I am so thankful to have been able to ski and jump and fly.  It is important that anyone who wants it has a chance and a path.  That was the Winter Park way and I expect in general the American way.  
Landis taking daughter Andrea off her first ski jump

No comments:

Post a Comment