Wednesday, December 26, 2012

USASJ Story Project- Dec 26 MYLANDER

Jim Mylander (far right) with daughter Emily and friends Doug Maki (L) and his daughter Alana Maki-Foust (Story No. 36, Nov 27) at last year's National Masters Championship in St. Paul, MN.


STORY No. 72
JIM MYLANDER
Age 52
Bloomington, MN
St. Paul Ski Club


Hello, Jim "The Flying Swede" Mylander here with my own ski jumping tale. I have been a member of the St. Paul Ski Club since 1983, when I started jumping again after a 6 yr  layoff. I grew up in Cloquet Mn under the great coaching of Joe Nowak. I want to thank him for my early years and all of my ski jumping family for the support through out the last 30+ yrs. 

My story starts out at the SPSC on Harrington Hill in the mid 80's. This was in the days of human track setters! And side kick outs. So it was icy and there was barely a track on the inrun of the 46 meter hill. I kicked out from the right gate and all the sudden, my left ski Came out of the track! I was praying, please God get my ski back in the track so I wouldn't face plant on the inrun! I did manage to get it back on track and survive that ride. 


I will always be grateful for all of my ski jumping family and all the great friends! Have a great ski season and everyone keep your tips up.

No comments:

Post a Comment