Friday, December 21, 2012

USASJ Story Project- Dec 21 JERRY MARTIN

Jerry Martin- sky high.

STORY No. 62
JERRY MARTIN
Age 62
Minneapolis, MN
Minneapolis Ski Club

I have two experiences I would like to share.

Story 1 
I was jumping in a competition at Ispheming, MI. I forget the year, sometime in the early to mid 70's. The announcer was very colorful, making comments such as; “come on Jerry make your mother and father proud of you." I was in the start for my first competitive jump and the announcer began what seemed like a 5 minute dissertation about my past accomplishments; National champion, Olympian, North American distance record holder, etc, etc. I could hear the speaker system loud and clear in the gate.

By the time he was done getting the crowd fired up for my jump, I think everyone thought God was coming! When I pulled out of the gate, the last thought in my mind was; Jerry, you better not screw this one up. The weather was perfect, the hill was in perfect condition and the track was perfect. How could anyone screw up.

As I came onto the table, my right ski caught an edge and shot violently to the right. When I reached the takeoff I was half sideways. Drastic corrections were needed to survive. I immediately started the “Martin Swim”. Holland is not the only jumper to have perfected this emergency procedure. I managed to land on the knoll, skis down but ass and arms dragging behind (wish high back boots were in).

My ride down the entire landing hill felt like an eternity. When I stopped at the end of the outrun there were a few chuckles and a few kind spectators had words of encouragement for the next round.

Oh how humbling.

Story 2
1972 Olympics in Sapporo, Japan. 90 meter competition.

I was in the gate putting on my skis for my second competitive jump. I shuffled my skis back and forth checking my bindings. The competitor in front of me was given the green light. At that moment I noticed the heel was torn off my right boot. The cable was attached to the heel, but when I flexed my knee forward there was about an inch of air molecules between the heel and my boot.

I showed the starter at the gate my boot and he basically looked at me with a holy **** expression. I was given the green light. Either I walk down or ski down. I elected to finish my Olympic experience.
I gave myself a quick pep talk; be aggressive, don't let that loose heel bother you. Well, my pep talk didn’t do the trick. I basically gave it about 75% at the take-off and looked like a lame duck in the air. Put them down above P.

Hindsight tells me, instead of doing all the hard, sweaty dryland training to prepare for the coming season, I would have been better off lying on a couch talking to a sports psychologist. Of course, checking my equipment beforehand would have been smart.


Jerry in the early days!

No comments:

Post a Comment