Tuesday, December 25, 2012

USASJ Story Project- Dec 25 MYHRA/JACOBSON

Veronica Myhra (St Paul Ski Club) and Ty Jacobson (Ishpeming Ski Club) met through ski jumping.
Their kids are 4th generation jumpers!


STORY No. 69  
VERONICA (MYHRA) JACOBSON
Age 28
Stillwater,MN
St. Paul Ski Club

My grandpa and dad both ski jumped and after carrying my brother, Anthony’s skis for a season or two, I decided to try it. I was hooked. Like many others, ski jumping became a year round sport for me, traveling across the country with the Central division. There are many highlights of my ski jumping career including traveling to Europe twice with the U.S. Women’s ski jumping team, but my most treasured moment came in meeting Ty Jacobson, another junior jumper who hailed from Ishpeming, Michigan. We both competed on a national level throughout our high school years. When Ty graduated in 2001, he moved to the Twin Cities to pursue his career in law enforcement. Ty and I were married in February of 2004 and almost nine years later we have six beautiful children and are awaiting the arrival of our seventh in April. Needless to say our involvement in the sport today comes in a different capacity. This winter we will have five of our kids jumping the little hills at the St. Paul Ski Club. Ty will be coaching and I will be back where I started, carrying skis up the hill. As far as we know, we are the only two ski jumpers who have competed on a national and international level that have ended up getting married.  Never did we imagine how enriched our lives would be by the sport of ski jumping.  
Veronica (R, no 10)back in the day... with Taylor Lyons (L, no 8) and Alana Maki
(center- from STORY No. 26, November 27) who is also now married and expecting.

No comments:

Post a Comment