Saturday, December 1, 2012

USASJ Story Project- Dec 1 BRAINARD

Editor's Note-  We're at the tipping point!  30 days done, 30 more to go.  And the momentum has been growing; the stories- great ones- are storming in.  If you've been sitting on your muse, let her run now.  Stories received by Monday morning will be run.  Not sure I'll have space after that.  I know for many it has been difficult to pick just one.  No worries.  I see this as an annual event.  A call to order before each season.  A reminder to remember.  There are many, many more great stories out there.  And new ones born every season.

It has been wonderful to watch this project unfold.  Entries from  from across the country first in dribs and drabs now a deluge; every one fascinating on its own but most beautiful laid end to end- each of a common thread but of widely varying textures and colors that, together, have woven something quite spectacular.  And the weave continues with another beauty from Charles Brainard...


Mountain & Cold Weather Training Command 1957 Winter
Carnival 40 meter at Camp Hale. I went 65' (BUT FUN).

STORY No. 40
CHARLES BRAINARD
Age 75
Hartford, CT
Kent School & Yale- Captain '55 & '62. U.S Army 10th 56 -58 Colorado/Alaska

I was not really "A JUMPER " per se, rather an alpine skier, who did Nordic to fill out my Prep School (Kent) & College (Yale) ski teams roster in the 4-Event.

Winter Carnivals here in New England in the 50's...We raced Hotchkiss, Deerfield, Berkshire, Salisbury, Northwood, Taft of the world, NOT the big boys of northern New England- Holderness, Proctor, KUA, Vt Academy...and the "ski academies" were unheard of then. I skied for Kent '52-'55 when skiing was dropped due to snow lack, but made the hockey team.

My Yale Ski Team capt photo 61-62.

After Kent I was drafted into U.S.Army, Ski Troops assigned to Mountain Cold Weather Training Command (10th follow-on) Ft Carson (summer) Camp Hale (winter) I was A pig in you-know-what...

Two platoons..70 Troopers with Olympians like: Buddy Werner/Ralph Miller/Les Streeter/Mack Miller/Marv Mellville/Marv Crawford/Max Marolt + countless Class A skiers country-wide. We could field the best ski team in U.S. no question. Every weekend we headed to: Aspen/A-Basin/Winter Park/Steamboat where we bummed!! Not bad duty for a 19 yr old.

1957, my 2nd year in ARMY, Hale closed, was sent to ALASKA Ft.Greeley Mountain Warfare Instructor,(colder, a Territory, no women, fabulous hunting & fishing, more XC.

Mustered out, bought an MGA (sports car) & walked into Yale.  1958- 1962 raced 4yrs, Capt '62. See traditional captain's photo on Fence. Geo Bush same photo 4 Baseball.. Most years skied in Dartmouth, Middlebury,Williams Carnivals et al, as 4-eventer. My longest jump was @ Middlebury Snow Bowl on their 55.  I was going 137' and flapping while John Bower (Holmenkollen champ) was gliding to 200'.  He was better! XC I finished in the pack.  What great years those were.
CT State Junior Nordic Champs in 1951
Kensington, CT 20m, went 38'!

I continued in the Industry NSAA Ski Insurance Plan for 8-10 years and ran into everybody again!!! Now ski with Grands but heli-skied in the Gothics/Monnashees CMH.  Now with a new knee and 1/2 way to 150!

I visited 2 of my favorite jumps last year: Harris Hill (in Brattleboro, VT) beautiful but too big 4 me @ rebuilt from 70 to 90 for $1,500,000. I did climb to the take-off this summer. My other, Saetre Hill Salisbury, also rebuilt from a 60 to a 70 for $1,000,000+ Looks great & hiked up; I guess good for Jr. Nationals etc. the 20 & 40 alongside, which I learned still remains. Both were rebuilt as the result of considerable local efforts- true labors of love.

That's about it 4 now...Charlie Brainard

Buddy Werner setting slalom @ Arapahoe Basin, CO in 1957.
 




No comments:

Post a Comment