Monday, December 24, 2012

USASJ Story Project- DEC 24 NORBY

Young Dave Norby pulling for more (in 1952).


STORY No. 67
DAVE NORBY
Age 70
Madison, WI
Blackhawk Ski Club

The US Jumping Team spent Christmas of 1969 in St. Moritz, Switzerland.  The family that owned the hotel where we were staying graciously invited us all down for their Christmas Eve celebration.  The hotel manager had gone out and cut a fresh tree that day and it smelled great.  They had decorated it with live candles!  They had a young boy and of course he was wide-eyed and drinking it all in as we sang Silent Night in English and then they sang it in their native language.  We all got a small bag of candy and nuts.  A beautiful cold mountain Christmas Eve just like you see in pictures.  I sat there that evening feeling a bit homesick thinking of my wife and family getting together for a traditional Christmas.  I felt that I was missing out.

The next day, Christmas Day I was off away from the rest of the guys just waxing my skis and getting ready for the practice session to begin.  One of the younger guys on the team came over to me not wanting the others to hear him confide in me and he said, "Norbs, last night was the most meaningful Christmas Eve I have ever had".  Then he went on to explain why.

Yes, I really did miss it didn't I.  So much to be thankful for this time of year.

Dave Norby skiing Battle Creek in 1970.


No comments:

Post a Comment