Tuesday, December 9, 2014

USASJ Story Project 10-DEC-2014 RICH PARKER

Rich Parker, center, is now the head golf coach for Dartmouth College.

RICH PARKER
Age 55
Lebanon Outing Club
Lebanon, NH

Age 11 or 12 I jumped in the first Torger Togle jumping event in Lyndonville, VT.  I remember names such as "Lyndon" Larry Welch and another kid that had the same last name as I did. May have been Steve Parker. We jumped under icy conditions that day and the tracks on the jump were chattering . I had an ok day and when the awards came out, they called my name for the winner of the meet. I did not believe then and to this day that I won that meet, I honestly believe they mixed up the Parkers.  We checked and they said no but the athlete always knows. Walt Malmquist, Glen Kimball , the Hastings Brothers to name a few and  the Lebanon Outing Club left me with fond memories. You guys were all awesome and nobody has a clue what it takes to be a great ski jumper unless you were a part of it. Night after night on the hill. It was fun to watch you all over the years. I stayed inside for basketball and truth be known, my dad was not thrilled with my choice.  I was average at best but really loved the road trips with all the dads .Who will ever forget the spring events in Rumford, ME and Salisbury.  Not me!!! Here’s to Bernie Dion, Pee Wee, John and Steve Follansbee, and the Farnham Boys.  What a dedicated group of guys. Those were the days. Thanks for letting me share.
Stay safe off the jumps,
Parker hit .512 for Plymouth State in 1982.

Editor's note-  
In addition to having a haircut that would give you a perfect lie for stroking a 5 iron, Rich Parker is also extremely modest.  Every junior in the East breathed a collective sigh of relief when he chose basketball over ski jumping.  For the first time the rest of us had a chance at a blue ribbon.  As links below confirm, Parker was/is exceptional at golf, basketball, and baseball.  In golf he has won State Open titles in VT, NH MA, and ME and played in the 1990 US Open and other PGA Tour and Senior Tour events.  

To see Rich's bio as a 1993 inductee into the Plymouth State College Athletic Hall of Fame, click here.

To see Rich's bio as Dartmouth golf coach, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment