Sunday, December 14, 2014

USASJ Story Project 14-DEC-2014 ROY WEAVER

1974 JUNIOR NATIONAL TEAM from CENTRAL DIVISION.  Says Roy- Ray Catell is on far left, then Darryl Beale, I think Jim Murphy, but Murphy for sure, then me, John or Jeff Broman, Scott Sobzak (spelling may be all wrong), Ross Johnson, Pierre something, Jeff Denny, not sure of the coaches in the back right, the other Broman, Wade Catell and I don't remember the last two in back on the left.  Maybe a good quiz to see who knows all of them.

ROY WEAVER
Age 59
Colorado Springs, CO
Navarino, WI; UNH; USST
skifly76@yahoo.com 

I thought it would be cool to share this picture of the Jr. Nat team in 1974.  I was once known as the skier that always brought one extra ski.  If any of you remember what happened at Black Hawk in the 1974 Jr Nationals tryouts you know why.  My little agony of defeat maneuver was only one of my many ski breaking experiences:  Eau Claire, Westby, and the list goes on.  Skis were always my biggest problem.  From breaking them, to finding them leaning against a gas station down town, to setting the bindings too far ahead of the balance point, to using hand-me-down skis that were too long.  When I finally did figure it out I left the sport and miss it dearly.  All I have left are two skis.

Follow-up note from Roy- This was Jr. Nationals in 1974 at Steamboat Springs.  There were four of us that went streaking that year. The girls from Alaska were impressed.  A story better told over a few beers.  The girls were talking about it at the outdoor pool where we went later to hang out, so to speak.  Maybe the participants will fess up after they see the picture. 

ROY WEAVER on two skis.  Jumping in the 1974 Junior Nationals in Steamboat Springs, CO.

No comments:

Post a Comment