Monday, December 29, 2014

USASJ Story Project 29-DEC-2014 the GUNDRY FAMILY

Editor's note- 
Ski jumping has long been a family affair.  Thanks today to the Gundry family- Eli, Stewart, and Logan-  from Fall Creek, WI, who all jump (well!) and all took the time in this busy holiday season to share a story.


ELI GUNDRY gets some coaching from USASJ team members, Nick Alexander (L) and Nick Mattoon.
ELI GUNDRY
Age 7.5
Flying Eagles Ski Club
As you can see, the coaching worked pretty well!
Fall Creek, WI

My name is Eli Gundry and I am 7 and a half years old.  I started ski jumping at Mt. Washington in Eau Claire, Wisconsin when I was 4.   I usually jump the 7 or 15, but one time I did the 30.  In the summer of 2014, I drove to Utah with my brothers for the Springer Tournament.  When we got to the hill, I didn't want to jump off it because it was too big.  My coaches helped me and told me I could do it, but I did not want to jump.  I would not jump the hill because it was too big.  Then, Olympian Nick Alexander helped me.  He held me in the tracks for a long time and told me I could do it.  He held me in the tracks and told me it was not too big.  When I was ready, he let go and I jumped it. I jumped it again and again and again and again.  I want to be like Nick Alexander. 

STEWART GUNDRY finished 6th last year in the U10B Virtual US National Championships.
STEWART GUNDRY
Age 9
Flying Eagles Ski Club
Fall Creek, WI

My name is Stewart Gundry and I am 9 years old.  I have been ski jumping since 1st grade.  At the beginning, I didn't know much about it, but then I got into it.  I like being up in the air and meeting my goals.  I ski jump at Mt. Washington in Eau Claire Wisconsin 4 times a week in the winter.  We go to St. Paul, MN for tournaments.  My best day was when I out jumped the hill at Olympic Park.  If it snows this year, my goal is to keep on jumping farther and going to more hills and exploring.

Editor's note
To see Stewart's US Virtual National performance, click here

Logan Gundry had multiple top 5 finishes last year in the US CUP  Jr Series- Central Tour.

LOGAN GUNDRY
Age 12
Flying Eagles Ski Club
Fall Creek, WI

My name is Logan Gundry and I started ski jumping when I was 8 years old.   My friend Jonathon was ski jumping and I thought it was cool.  My first week as a ski jumper, I leaned too far forward and landed on my side and  broke my collar bone.   I had to sit out the rest of the season and watch the other jumpers. The next year, I go on the 30!  I like the speed of ski jumping. I don't exactly know why I like it--but it's fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment