Monday, December 1, 2014

USASJ Story Project 2-Dec-2014 JOSHUA FLANDERS

Joshua Flanders- flying high in Brattleboro, VT in 2009.
 JOSHUA FLANDERS
Age 25
Lebanon, NH
Lebanon Outing Club
joshua.j.flanders@gmail.com
 
With the theme of crash and burn stories… I have my own to share which is a little different than some, because I happened to do some swimming in the cold January waters of New Hampshire.  Having grown up and trained daily beside some of the most talented American ski jumpers ever to set ski on snow, let’s just say that competition was strong and pushing ourselves to be better was a nightly occurrence on the K48 in Lebanon. 
 
It was 2003-04 I believe, Casey Colby was still coaching in Lebanon before his departure to LP… and as some may recall every time a new skier makes their way to the elevator chute which is Lebanon's K48 there is always an intimidation factor…. "but that bridge doesn't have a fence!”
 
Needless to say that bridge which stands about 10' over the brook doesn't have a fence… or any way to slow an out of control skier down.  At the time I was just getting comfortable really laying out over my skis and trying to push my limits to get the most out of every ride, I believe my face landed somewhere around the K point that frigid evening when there was no stopping a 13 maybe 14 year old wrecking ball from sliding out of control….. off the bridge and into the waters of the cold brook below. 
 
Let’s just say Casey could have made an appearance on the US Track and Field team because he made that sprint in no time to come fish me out. This has happened multiple times.. to me and many others over the years! 
 
I’m also proud to say that after college, marriage and having a son, (who's now 2) I am slowly making my way back into the ski jumping community as I have taken the head ski jumping coach position at Hanover High School, and with my goals for this winter are to coach a successful team and share my knowledge as well as throw myself BACK off Harris Hill which was one of the last hills I Jumped in 2009 before retiring from the sport.
Josh Flanders- ready to lead Hanover High School ski jumpers.




No comments:

Post a Comment