Friday, December 5, 2014

USASJ Story Project 5-DEC-2014 CHARIS FRANKS

Just 11 years old, Charis throws a wide V and chases it hard right from the take-off!
CHARIS FRANKS
Age 11
Norge Ski Club
Cary, IL

My name is Charis Franks, I am 11 years old, and I live in Cary, Il. (5 miles from the Norge ski jump).  When I was 7 years old and in second grade, my friend asked me if I would come watch him ski jump.  We had known about ski jumping for the last year, but wanted to check it out.  We went to a practice, and when I saw kids ski jumping I said…….
   
“I have to do this!”

I was jumping two days later at the next practice.  About 2 weeks after I started jumping I went to my first competition in Madison WI.  I continued to travel and compete that year and the next.  The summer of my second year, I went to Park City UT and jumped my first 40 meter hill.  That winter, on the morning before the first competition of the year, I fell on Saint Paul’s 46 meter and broke my foot.  I was off for almost the whole season, but recovered in time to go to the last competition of the year in Coleraine, MN.  Four months later in June, while attending a training camp in Madison WI, I slipped on a hotel floor and cut my other foot.  I needed 8 stitches! Ouch!  I was off for another 2 1/2 weeks.  After I recovered, I finished the summer season and went on to compete on the 25 meter hills that winter.  At the end of the winter, I got to compete in the Virtual Nationals and got second place in the U12 girls class! That was a blast! This summer, I began jumping the 40 meter hill again and look forward to jumping many 40 meter hills this winter.  I plan to jump Norge’s 70M hill next year and maybe qualify for Junior Nationals in 2016 or for sure in 2017!  To gain sponsorship for my ski jumping in the next few years, I am putting together a presentation to give to local businesses.  I hope to raise $5,000 annually in ongoing sponsorship. I am home-schooled and so my mom /teacher can make a lot of my school assignments ski jumping related.  My presentation has been a chance to learn to do research, make a power point presentation, speak publicly and learn about tax deductions.

I love and I am thankful for the opportunity to ski jump!


Editor's note- To watch Charis's 2nd place finish in the 2014 U12 Girls Virtual National Championships click here 

No comments:

Post a Comment